Do people with "apple" shapes (fattest in the abdomen area) have a greater risk of coronary artery disease, stroke, hypertension, and diabetes than those with "pear" shapes (fattest in the hips, buttocks, and thighs)?
- Answer - Yes!
- Source - The University of California, Berkeley's "The Wellness Encyclopedia" page 24.
How many calories must you burn in order to lose one pound of tissue?
- Answer - 3,500 calories
- Source - Running For Lifelong Fitness, R.N. Girandola, page 76.
What is the most common first system of severe heart disease?
- Answer - Sudden death!
- Source - Controlling Cholesterol; Dr. Kenneth H. Cooper, page 4.
What is the average consumption of total sugar per person per year in the U.S.?
- Answer - 130 pounds!
- Source - United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)
What do Humphrey Bogart (actor), Nat King Cole (musician), Walt Disney (animator), Robert Taylor (actor), Betty Grable (actress), Senator Robert A. Taft, Edward R. Morrow (reporter), Buster Keaton (comedian, actor) and Robert Ryan (actor) all have in common?
- Answer - They all died of lung cancer!
- Source - American Cancer Society